The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race is the third race that takes place during Kempton Park’s August Afternoon Racing meeting every year.
Based on the outskirts of Surrey near the border of Greater London, Kempton Park Racecourse is one of the most prominent racecourses in the UK, with fantastically easy access for horse racing fanatics in Surrey and London.
The August Afternoon Racing meeting is one of dozens of meetings and race days that takes place annually at Kempton Park Racecourse, all year long, thanks to this prestigious horse racing venue’s brilliant all-weather Polytrack and floodlighting facilities.
Don’t miss the next edition of the August Afternoon Racing meeting at Kempton Park Racecourse on Monday the 2nd of August 2021. For all of The Kempton Park Racecourse Afternoon Racing news and ticket information, sign up for The Jockey Club’s newsletter at https://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/newsletter/.
About The Race
The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race is a Class 5 handicap flat race that serves as the third race of the August Afternoon Racing meeting at Kempton Park Racecourse every summer.
Exclusively open to horses aged just three years old, The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race runs exactly 1 mile of Kempton Park Racecourse and usually features a moderately sized field of runners.
A generous £7,021 was added to the race purse last time out, which was shared proportionately between the race winner and the placing horses in the following manner:
1st place – 11/4 Dargel (IRE) – £3,752
2nd place – 9/2 Corinthian Girl (IRE) – £1,116
3rd place – 8/1 Glory (GB) – £558
4th place – 8/1 Padura Brave (GB) – £300
The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race will start at around 14:45 on Monday the 2nd of August 2021 at Kempton Park Racecourse.
The excellent runners that compete in Kempton Park’s August Afternoon Racing’s Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race, officially rated between 56-70 and 61-75, will always look to better the performance of the division 1 edition of the race that they’re following.
Here are the runners, their starting prices and how they fared in this fantastic race at Kempton Park’s Afternoon Racing meeting at Kempton Park Racecourse last time out in 2019 (ordered by saddlecloth number):
- Dargel (IRE) – first-place finish – 11/4 starting price – weighing in at 9-7 – ridden by jockey Adam Kirby and trained by Clive Cox
- Glory (GB) – third-place finish – 8/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-6 – ridden by jockey Tom Marquand and trained by Richard Hannon
- Fiction Writer (USA) – eighth-place finish – 14/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-5 – ridden by jockey Franny Norton and trained by Mark Johnston
- Corinthian Girl (IRE) – second-place finish – 9/2 starting price – weighing in at 9-4 – ridden by jockey Stevie Donohoe and trained by David Lanigan
- Fares Alpha (USA) – sixth-place finish – 16/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-4 – ridden by jockey Andrea Atzeni and trained by Marco Botti
- Recuerdame (USA) – seventh-place finish – 2/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-2 – ridden by jockey Harry Bentley and trained by Simon Dow
- Padura Brave (GB) – fourth-place finish – 8/1 starting price – weighing in at 8-13 – ridden by jockey David Probert and trained by Mark Usher
- Vino Rosso (IRE) – fifth-place finish – 100/1 starting price – weighing in at 8-5 – ridden by jockey Charlie Bennett and trained by Michael Blanshard
- Sussex Solo (GB) – Non-Runner – starting price N/A – weighing in at 8-2 – assigned jockey Kieran O’Neill and trained by Luke Dace
Races like The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race at Kempton Park Racecourse can be just as profitable as wagering on the more prestigious fixtures hosted by the venue, such as The King George VI Chase or The Desert Orchid Chase.
If at any point you fancy placing some bets on the action at Kempton Park this season, make sure you check back here for the most accurate, well-researched horse racing tips, as well as promo codes for sign-up offers that include free bets, paid extra places promotions, boosted odds on race favourites and even cashback on any losses.
Odds for The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race at Kempton Park Racecourse last time out ranged from 2/1 for the race favourite Recuerdame up to a mighty 100/1 for the longest outsider Vino Rosso.
This edition of The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race in 2019 was won by 11/4 priced second-favourite Dargel, who turned £10 outright backing stakes into £37.50 in returns, £27.50 in profits.
Here are the previous 5 winners of The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race at The Afternoon Racing, including their odds, closest competitors and race stats:
The August Afternoon Racing at Kempton Park Racecourse did not take place in 2020.
The winner of The Class 5 Handicap (Div 2) Flat Race last time out at Kempton Park Racecourse in the summer of 2019 was 11/4 priced second-favourite Dargel, ridden by jockey Adam Kirby and trained by Clive Cox.
9/2 priced third-favourite Corinthian Girl finished four and a half lengths behind Dargel in second place, followed by 8/1 priced Glory in third place and equally priced Padura Brave in fourth.
The August Afternoon Racing at Kempton Park Racecourse did not take place in 2018.
The August Afternoon Racing at Kempton Park Racecourse did not take place in 2017.
Back in 2016, there were no Class 5 1 mile races for three-year-old colts and fillies. Instead, the third race of the day was The Maiden Auction Stakes, which was won by 4/1 priced third-favourite Just Maybe, ridden by jockey Robert Winston and trained by Mike Murphy.
10/1 priced Happy Queen finished a length and a quarter behind Just Maybe in second place, followed by 8/1 priced Bubble Bath in third place and 11/4 priced race favourite Scorching Heat in fourth.